Nancy Chapman is a contemporary impressionist oil painter. She moved to Vermont from Rhode Island in 2018. She has been establishing herself in her new home studio and enjoys connecting with her Vermont art community.
Nancy’s inspiration comes from her immediate surroundings and the natural world. She explains, “Painting a landscape is a way to touch what cannot be literally touched”. Her goal is not to describe a scene for the viewer, but rather to render the setting’s spirit; to reveal the story.
Her work has exhibited in Rhode Island, Boston, NYC and internationally. Some of the gifted artists she has studied with are Phoebe Florie, Aya Itagaki, Douglas David, and Amy Bynger. Her work has been influenced by artists such as Claude Monet, Mark Rothko and Wolf Kahn.
- Bryan Memorial Gallery, Artist Member, Jeffersonville, VT 2017 –
- Providence Art Club, Providence, RI, Exhibiting Artist, 2009 –2017
- Rhode Island State Council on the Arts, Board Member 2004 – 2011
- Newport Art Museum, Artist Member, Newport, RI 2012
- South County Art Association, Kingstown, RI 2002 – 2010
- M.F.A. in Visual Arts, Vermont College, Montpellier, VT 1993
- Upper Valley Teachers Training, Art Education Lebanon, NH 1983
- B.A., ADP, Goddard College, Plainfield VT, 1981
© All rights reserved 2021 – Nancy Chapman Art ~ Reproduction and/or publication in any format of any of the artwork showcased here is prohibited. We thank you for kindly respecting the artist’s original work and labor.